In many of the previous articles, I’ve focussed on some fundamental keys to success (Eg. Dream Big, You Reap what you Sow, Drive and Persistence). However what I haven’t really touched on is the importance of taking care of your mind too. This is equally, if not MORE important than the rest of the content, because if you can’t take care of your mind, you won’t be able to sustain anything moderately challenging.
If you do these 5 things consistently for the next eight weeks, you’ll be unrecognisable!
- SLEEP: I cannot stress this enough! Literally, the exact purpose of sleep, is ‘to repair, restore, prune, and strengthen the brain’s neural connections’, allowing these neurons to effectively communicate. So too, sleep is biologically and chemically PROVEN to have great effects on human functioning on both ends of the scale (not enough sleep compared to adequate sleep). Ultimately, the purpose of sleep is to remove the toxic by-products we build up throughout the day, where a lack of sleep paves the way for cognitive lapses in how we perceive and react to the world around us.
- Practice meditation: A powerful tool to sharpen your control over your mind, mediation is amazing. If you are new to meditation, try 10 minutes in the morning of peaceful ‘mind training’, making sure your brain is empty and tranquil, controlling what enters your mind. After a while you will start to reap the rewards, and you can bump it up to 60 minutes or more per day.
- Learn new things: Learning stimulates your brain immensely. Learn things that are almost entirely unrelated to what you do in everyday life also. Variety is key here, as every time you learn something new, your brain with either change the structure of its neurons or strengthen the synaptic connections. This may sound like gibberish, however it ultimately means that you are effectively training your brain to send and receive information faster.
- Exercise, exercise, exercise: Exercise is great for the mind. When you exercise, the brain releases beta-endorphins and chemicals such as dopamine at the same time it is removing built up toxic chemicals which make you feel stress or angst! Norepinephrine and serotonin is also released during exercise, consequently playing an extremely important role in regulating your mood.
- Diet: Like an expensive car, your brain functions best when it gets only premium fuel. Eating high-quality foods that contain lots of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants nourishes the brain and protects it from stress. So too however, if your brain functions off anything less than premium fuel, it can be really damaged. For example, diets high in refined sugars, are harmful to the brain. In addition to worsening your body’s regulation of insulin, they also promote inflammation and stress. Multiple studies have found a correlation between a diet high in refined sugars and impaired brain function…
If you feel you’ve been run ragged for months, take a mental break, a day or two, just to completely recuperate. It is ever so important, no one is invincible, not even you!
Have a lovely week legends 🙂